Updated Wed, 19-Sep-2012
Dates are from various history books of Blackpool and the Fylde, but chiefly from the Government Survey Book Amounderness, published in the year 1934.
To thoroughly understand the History of a District over a few Centuries you must know its Geography.
The Fylde Coast had its share of Shipwrecks in the old days, and being sparsely populated it was a common thing for the inhabitants to help themselves before the Coast Guards or Excise Officers could get to the wreck. A ship named "The Travers" was wrecked on the coast, it had a cargo of Lace, and there was "Travers Lace" in homes all over the Fylde for years after.
Owing to there being a bad summer and poor crops, food was scarce. During the autumn, a ship was wrecked on the Coast which, among other articles, was carrying a cargo of peas. This was raided and helped out the food supply and the wreck became known as "The Pea Soup Wreck".
First mention of Coaches being run between Manchester and Blackpool for the Conveyance of Passengers.
In this year Baylies Hotel, now the Metropole commenced advertising for visitors in the Manchester Mercury.
Bonnies Hotel and the Lane Ends Hotel, afterwards called the County, now demolished to make room for Lewis's Stores, both commenced advertising for visitors.
At this date there were Fifty Houses in Blackpool, a Theatre in a Barn in Lane Ends Street now Church Street and two Bowling Greens.
A Gentleman named George Cook started Blackpool's first Post Office and Lending Library.
"William Hutton a Gentleman from Birmingham, published a small book entitled "A description of Blackpool".
The population of Blackpool at that time was four hundred. (400)
First church built at Marton. The present church was built in 1909.
Population of Blackpool and Layton, four hundred and seventy three. (473)
The population of Poulton was seven hundred and nine. (709).
Marton Windmill, near the site of the present Oxford Hotel struck by lightning and destroyed, a girl was killed.
Blackpool's first school was built in Church Street. The National School, now St. Johns.
A man named Thomas Moore built the first houses at South Shore.
Owing to the sea erosion, the old Ross Hall and its accompanying building had to be abandoned. A new Ross Hall was built further inland; this is now part of Rossall College.
In this year a ship called "The Fanny" was wrecked off the coast, she was laden with red and black flannel. The same fate happened to this cargo as happened to the lace and peas of previous wrecks. Fanny Petticoats were prevalent for years in Blackpool from this date.
The first Nonconformist Chapel was built in Kent Road, then out in the fields.
A building named the Grand Promenade was erected at the North East Corner of Victoria Street and Bank Hey Street. This was the first building to be erected in Blackpool as an Entertainment Theatre, it is now shops on the ground floor and a restaurant above.
There was a wreck at The Gynn, the crew being saved by steering for a light in one of the windows of The Old Gynn Inn, this Inn stood in the centre of what is now Gynn Square and was very old, reported about 1700.
The First Wesleyan Chapel erected in Adelaide Street.
South Shore Parish Church (Holy Trinity) erected.
First house built in Fleetwood.
Ascension of Queen Victoria.
Opening of New Promenade.
The Reverend William Thornber published the first history of Blackpool.
A ship called "The Crusader" was wrecked at South Shore, and a few Marton men were sent to Prison having been caught taking silk from the wreck.
The Preston Railway was extended to Poulton.
The Population of Blackpool was now two thousand one hundred and sixty eight. (2168).
The Brig "Aristocrat" was wrecked opposite the Imperial Hydro. Two passengers were drowned.
The Old St. John's Market opened. British Home Stores now stands on the site.
The Railway was extended from Poulton to Talbot Road Station (now Blackpool North).
The Wellington Hotel was built.
Gas Works built and Blackpool has its first street lighting by gas.
Theatre Royal opened.
The Union Baptist Chapel was built in Abingdon Street, the site is now occupied by the general Post Office.
The Schooner "William Henry" with a cargo of flour and lard was wrecked at South Shore. There were plenty of cheap tubs of lard for the South Shore people.
The Wesleyan Chapel in Adelaide Street Rebuilt.
Christ Church Mission built and consecrated 1870.
First Pier Company and Blackpool and Lytham Railways opened.
North Pier opened.
Lytham Railway extended to Blackpool Central.
Blackpool gets its first Lifeboat. July 14th.
Wreck of the St. Michael (September 18th) the Lifeboat saved the crew of fourteen.
United Methodist Church, Adelaide Street built.
Fylde Water Works opened. First piped water.
Blackpool Parade Act for Promenade Development passed through Parliament.
The Barque "Lexington" wrecked, crew of fourteen saved by new lifeboat.
Assembly and Concert Rooms Company
Central Pier opened
(April 21st) Charles Dickens visited Blackpool and stayed at the Beach Hotel, which stood where the Tower Vaults and Cafe now stand.
Late 1860s, Prince of Wales Arcade opened.
Grand opening of new Promenade. Population of Blackpool, seven thousand, nine hundred and two. (7,902)
Raikes Hall Gardens. Derelict by 1898.
Blackpool Cemetery opened. Talbot Bowling Tournament began.
The Aquarium, (now incorporated in the Tower) opened. At that time it ran along Bank Hey Street, and the space in front was an amusement park. This was built, owned, and run by Dr. Cocker the first Mayor of Blackpool, and was the real start of the Blackpool Tower.
Winter Gardens opened. Primitive Methodist Chapel in Chapel Street opened. Unitarian Church, Dixon Road, opened.
Blackpool received its Charter of Incorporation and became a Municipal Borough. William Cocker became first mayor of the Borough.
Start of Electric lighting.
The new Pleasure Steamer "The Bickerstaffe" commenced sailing on pleasure trips from the North Pier.
The Aquarium was floated by Dr.Cocker (the owner) into a Company under the Title of Blackpool Central Property Company and in 1889 acquired by the Standard Debenture Corporation Limited, who formed the Blackpool Tower Company in 1891. A ship, the "Bessie Jones", was wrecked; four men were rescued from the rigging, one youth swept away and lost. Free Public Library opened in the Octagon Room, Talbot Road, now part of Yates Wine Lodge.
Hoo Hill Windmill in Layton (now demolished) struck by Lightning in a July thunderstorm.
Wreck of the "Arethusa", ten saved.
Blackpool became a Parliamentary Division. Blackpool Tramway Company established. Electric trams started. Company bought by Corporation in 1892.
Wreck of the "Mexico" off Lytham. Twelve persons rescued by the Lytham Lifeboat. The Southport and St. Anne's Lifeboat capsized with loss of life.
The Blackpool Borough Police Force established.
Rawcliffe Street Wesleyan Church opened. South Shore Church rebuilt.
The Opera House, Church Street, opened June 10th with Gilbert & Sullivan's The Yeomen of the Guard.
Blackpool Tower Company Registered.
Alderman John Bickerstaffe elected chairman.
Foundation stone of Tower laid September 21st.
The Victoria Pier, South Shore, opened.
Opening of the Tower, Whit Monday May 14th.
Opening of Grand Theatre, December 22nd.
Wreck of the "Abana" off Norbreck. Lifeboat saved crew of seventeen.
The New Victoria Hospital in Whitegate Drive (now the Health Centre) received its first Casualty on August 25th. The new Hospital was maintained by voluntary subscription, one scheme being started by the Trades Council, by which members of the different branches in the town paid a voluntary contribution through their branch of two pence per week, this scheme was soon taken up in different firms in the town, by deducting the two pence from the employees wages, which in several cases was sixpence as the person was paying through both their branch and their employment.
Opening of The Hippodrome Theatre, now the A.B.C Theatre, Church Street.
The Alhambra (afterwards named the Palace) opened by George R. Sims. This replaced the old Prince of Wales Theatre and the Prince of Wales Aquatic Entertainment Baths.
This year was the completion and opening of the new Town Hall, the new Bethesda Chapel, Unitarian Church, South Shore and Ebenezer Primitive Methodist, Egerton Road.
The First Musical Festival was held. The Marton Tramway was opened this year.
Opening of the New Railway line from Waterloo Station, (now South Station) across The Moss to Kirkham.
Blackpool raised to the Status of County Borough.
All Saints Church, Palatine Road, opened.
The widening of the Promenade to the South Shore was completed, this was started in 1902.
St. Thomas`s Church, Caunce Street opened.
Blackpool Secondary School opened. Mr M.W.Astley elected Conservative Member of Parliament.
Blackpool's first full programme Cinema opened in the old Coliseum, Lytham Road, on the site of the Coliseum Bus Station. There had previously only been "shorts" shown at the Palace and Hippodrome.
The first Waterloo Bowling Tournament was held this year.
Blackpool's First Aviation Week held during the summer at Squires Gate Racecourse (now the Airport) and the first flight round the Tower from the seaside.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach Company Registered. This was not the start of the Pleasure Beach as several people had been operating a Pleasure Beach on the site for over twenty years previous to the Company being formed.
The Gipsy encampment of the Sandhills, south of the old Star Inn was erected this year.
The Second Aviation Week was held in July, the Frenchman Monsieur Tetard flew round the town.
This year saw the Carnegie Free Library at the Grundy Art Gallery in Queen Street opened for use. St. Stephen's Church on the Cliff opened.
The New Princess Parade was opened by Princess Louise.
The Great War commenced (August 4th). Blackpool was used as a training Ground for troops and also the headquarters of the Royal Army Medical Corp. (R.A.M.C.) Hospital beds erected in the old race-course grandstand at Squires Gate, under Doctor Winder of South Shore.
Hebrew Synagogue in Leamington Road opened.
Sir Albert Lindesy Parkinson elected Conservative M.P. for the Blackpool Division.
The first Election held under the New Municipal Redistribution scheme for the rearrangement of wards.
Blackpool Town Planning Act came into force.
St.Mary's Church, Highfield Road, South Shore opened.
Blackpool Ramblers Club formed (March 2nd)
Allan Clark, Lancashire writer and author of Windmill Land was one of the leaders.
Regent Picture Palace, Church Street opened.
David Lloyd-George, the Wartime Prime Minister, presented with the freedom of the Borough.
Major Morley (Conservative) elected Member of Parliament.
The Second Carnival held (June 11th-24th).
Sir Walter de Freece (Conservative) elected Member of Parliament. (Oct 29th)
Stanley Park off Whitegate Drive, including golf course, tennis courts and bowling greens opened.
Independent Methodist Church, Central Drive opened.
The First Illuminations were held in the autumn of the year. (Nov & Dec) skating at Marton Mere.
This winter had the severest frost for years.
St.Mark's Church Layton and New Baptist Church were being built. This was Blackpool's corporation "Jubilee Year", also the year of the general strike.
Site created and maintained by Rodney Hall